Re: Tires...

In a message dated 97-07-29 21:56:10 EDT, tewkes@engin.umich.edu (Kris
Tewkesbury) writes:

<< Does anyone on the list have any experience w/ Pirelli tires?  I'm curious
 as to the opinions on them.  >>

Back in the mid 80's I put a set of 195-50x15 P7's on my '78.  I put over
59,000 miles on them in 11 years(It's my weekend car).  I only changed them
last August because the Tire Rack had such a good deal on P700-Z's and the
P7's rubber was getting hard and the sidewalls were cracking.  The P7's were
great tires.  Great grip for such a light car, great steering response, very
good ride.  The P700-Z's are even better.  One thing I noticed with the new
tires is that they don't make any noise when the tires break loose.  You can
spin the tires or corner hard and they don't make a sound.  Another thing is
that the P7 had a kind of "run flat" construction.  On several occasions I
had checked the tires and found there to be less than 15psi of air in the
tire(picked up a nail) and the tire never showed it.  The sidewalls are
somewhat squarish and very short for this size.  This in turn kept the tire
from completely collapsing and failing.  I think the P700-Z's are similar in
construction.  That's my limited experience with Pirelli tires.

Good Luck.
-dick wong-
'78 Scirocco.
Original Owner.