fuel supply problem

I have a puzzling problem which is beginning to annoy me.
My 87 8V carb started to cut out under load, as though there
was a fuel starvation problem. Driving like an old lady was
fine, but not really acceptable. Doing the simplest thing first,
I replaced the fuel filter, and joy! it cured the problem. Day
later it was back. I found that simply disconnecting the pipe
from filter to pump and reconnecting made it better, but not
for long. I tried a new pump, and joy! problem completely fixed,
for another day, now its back again.

Am I looking at a carb problem, or something simpler like
a blockage in the reservoir or return pipe or something?
Why does disconnecting the supply pipe temporarily fix it?

Cheers,
Paul