Re: fuel supply problem

At 08:02 PM 7/29/97 +0100, you wrote:

>I have a puzzling problem which is beginning to annoy me.
>My 87 8V carb started to cut out under load, as though there
>was a fuel starvation problem. Driving like an old lady was
>fine, but not really acceptable. Doing the simplest thing first,
>I replaced the fuel filter, and joy! it cured the problem. Day
>later it was back. I found that simply disconnecting the pipe
>from filter to pump and reconnecting made it better, but not
>for long. I tried a new pump, and joy! problem completely fixed,
>for another day, now its back again.
>
>Am I looking at a carb problem, or something simpler like
>a blockage in the reservoir or return pipe or something?
>Why does disconnecting the supply pipe temporarily fix it?
>
>Cheers,
>Paul

Well, its been a while since ive discussed carb's, joy! I dont have any
info on the carb you have, but I suspect that it may have a second
small fuel filter at or near the carbs fuel line inlet? It sounds like
when you disconnect the fuel line its allowing enough backwash to clean
out the line, until you again have the blockage. I know that sounds far
fetched but its the best one I've got for you at the moment. I tell you
what! Send me an airline ticket and I'll come have a look-see! (First
class seating for 2 would be suficient. <G>)

By chance did you cut open the old fuel filter to see how badly clogged
it may have been? Im wondering if your fuel tank is corroding and
starting to flow particles to the carb.
Do you have an electric or manual fuel pump? Its just unusual for me to
hear of a carb on an 87! Was this factory fitment or an option for you?

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and