Gas cap, not much help...

RE: Gas cap fun

> I have a mk1 scirocco '80 to be excact.  The previous owner put a
> extra stupid chrome, locking gas cap on the car.  This gas cap is the
> ugliest thing I have ever seen in my life.  Its even about halfway
> covered with rust.  Anyway, I can't find a new stock gas cap anywhere!
> I went to rapid parts and they had me try 2 caps neither of which
> fit.  Rabbit caps don't fit.  I'd perfer not to have to go to the
> junkyard.
> Apperenty the 1980, some came with a threaded gas cap and some came
> with the 1/4 turn gas cap.  Mine has the 1/4 turn cap.  Has anyone
> had this problem?  Anyone have or no where I could get a new gas cap?

     FWIW, the '80 Jetta also had this smaller size 1/4 turn cap.  I simply
bought a cheap aftermarket and hammered the hole out so it would fit.  It
looks like hell, but then again, so does the rest of the car.

     I would try Mark at Adirondack Auto Brokers for this part.

     I wonder if your '80 'Rocco also has the funky lock box for the
doors like my '80 Jetta.  I finally ended up robbing the latch/lock out of a
Rabbit and retrofitting it.  Much easier to get parts.

     Sean
     wildfire@albany.net
     SYSOP: BOB'S WORLD BBS