steering rack heat shield

 I've got an '88 16v and I just replaced the steering rack in it. That
was a tough job!!!  The problem is the heat shield that protects the
passenger side tie-rod boot has already ripped the tie-rod boot.  Is
there a commonly known problem with the heat shield ripping the tie-rod
boot or did I just install it wrong.  I was really mad when I saw that it
 was ripped because I had just finished changing  the whole rack
including tie-rods the day before.

Joshua
 '88 16v