Leaking Gas Tank

I recently purchased a 1987 16v scirocco (as a second car, the first is a
90g60), and I have discovered it has a leaking gas tank.  I understand
the there was a recall on this, however the recall has already been done
on the vehicle.  Has anyone else ever been in this situation?  Secondly,
has anyone ever replaced the gas tank themselves?  Can anyone give me
some pointers?

Thanks in advance,

David L.
1990 g60 Corrado