Re: Bug Nationals (and some more long ramblings)

>Well, I got to see this event in Seatle last Saturday.  It was a bit
>odd watching all these VWs drag racing, but it was kinda neat too.
>Unfortunately the Roccos all were eliminated in the first couple
>rounds :(

Yeah, they were in tough against those Bugs.  BTW, in case anyone on the
list cares, a stock 16v rocco was running in the high 16s; I think 16.71
was his fastest time?  As for the other watercooled cars, a VR6 Passat
w/Schrick manifold and I don't know what else managed a 16 flat (this was
AE Page, who pops up now and again on the ng).  A 92 16v GTI w/268 cams,
Supersprint exhaust, Euro intake man., etc ran a 15.85.  An A2 GTI w/ Stage
II G60 conversion was running mid 15's.  The fastest watercooled car I saw
had a 14.9 written on the window...It was real hot down there, like Rick
said, which I'm sure affected the times adversely.  .

>There were some nice cars in the show area, but nothing that really
>made my haed turn too much.  Only a couple roccos there, and one was

I'm not sure which show Rick was at..:)  FWIW, there was a brilliant white
16v there that had mods coming out the ass - camber plates, Quaife,
coilovers, 17" rims, 2.0 block, you name it.  This car was beautiful...I
took numerous pictures, and hope to have them scanned and posted somewhere
ASAP.

>a really beat looking MK1 with a butcher quality mid-engine
>conversion.

This was the most interesting car there.  It was a 16v motor bolted to an
Audi (*) tranny driving the rear wheels.  The owner had a set of ear muffs
hanging beside the driver's seat...the engine was basically in what was
left of the passenger compartment, and you could reach around and grab the
intake manifold from the driver's seat.  I put the * in there because
theoretically if a VW motor bolts up to an Audi trans, an Audi motor should
bolt up to a VW trans.  20V turbo conversion, anyone?

>It was nice to meet one of the list guys Sunday and the weather was

Yes it was nice, if a little unexpected...Hey Rick, was that an official
Scirocco mailing list shirt you were wearing?  That was one hip looking
shirt!

BTW, if you're ever travelling in a large group of VWs, make sure someone
has a police scanner.  They are, how do you say, invaluable.  One of our
Passat drivers (Ryan Rahim, a frequent poster on rec.autos.driving) had
one, and he saved me and 3 other guys from a pack of state troopers coming
up from the rear.  They were apparently threatening to throw any VW with BC
plates in jail if caught speeding...:)