Bug Nationals (and a bit long ramblings)

Well, I got to see this event in Seatle last Saturday.  It was a bit
odd watching all these VWs drag racing, but it was kinda neat too.
Unfortunately the Roccos all were eliminated in the first couple
rounds :(

There were some nice cars in the show area, but nothing that really
made my haed turn too much.  Only a couple roccos there, and one was
a really beat looking MK1 with a butcher quality mid-engine
conversion.

The vendors had mostly bug stuff and I asked about Scirocco models.
One of the main model makers (Minichamp?) is based in China and the
first vendor I asked said that he expects them to have a rocco in a
year or 2.  The second one said that the sales catalog had them drawn
in last year (which means they're @ 2 years off) and this year the
catalog had a picture (which she said means less than a year away).
Good news for those seeking models.  I forgot to ask if the pic was
MK1 or MK2 but she may not have known anyway.

I got to hook up with Riley but Andre didn't make it due to prior
commitments.  I also met a guy from Olympia that picked up a used
front air dam for his 83 for $25 in decent shape.  Alas, no rear
axles to be found.

My day was good (the VW get together) and bad (the rest).  On my way
to SIR, I hit a bump and my reaview mirror fell off (again!).  Then
on my way home I went to put the faceplate back on the stereo and it
wouldn't stay.....the mechanism broke.  Crawling along in the traffic
the damn thing overheated.

Now the damn sunroof is AFU.  Yeah, I'm bitching.  Sorry fellas :)
Anyone want to buy an 85 with a really strong and solid motor with a
freshly rebuilt tranny and clutch?  Not to mention a bent rear axle
and busted muffler and broken sunroof and screwed up stereo and a
dings caused by parking lot assholes?  I really need a bigger car and
one that is a bit more reliable.  If I had the place to keep it (and
money) I might keep the rocco, but I'm almost sure it's gonna have to
go.  I don't have the place or know enough people with a place here
to be able to work on the major stuff that always seems to happen.  I
just don't think it was in the cards for me to have this car and
really get to enjoy it to the fullest.  Anyway.........

It was nice to meet one of the list guys Sunday and the weather was
great (a bit hot even for Seattle!).  I kept getting drawn to the
Passats that were there, and the thought of a Jetta VR6 doesn't upset
me too much either :)  Thing is, I wonder if these would be as high
maintenance as the rocco.  I may just have to go back to a good old
Chevy or something.  Whatever, I have to do something before the end
of August as my license renewal is up and I doubt they'll allow me to
do the emissions test with the muffler being as it is.

Sorry for the negativity, but the little pocket rocket is getting me
down :)  I've already been through the "work on my car in all my spare
time" stage.  I'm getting a little too old for this!

Rick
hugacub@whidbey.net
Richard.Lackner@entex.com
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg