Re: Rear axle bent

At 07:42 PM 7/16/97 +0800, you wrote:
>Are all A1 rear axles the same, and if not, which ones will fit my 85
>Rocco?

Same-same! All fit. good-good. yes-yes.

>Has anyone swapped a rear axle out, and how big a job was it?
>Looking at Mr Bentley, it doesn't seem too bad.

Been there done that, HARD. Mike was good enough to sell me his old
used/bent axle.  I tweaked mine on a curb after I was DONE testing tires.
(damn sand) It took all of an hour and I took the time to install my (then)
new TT system and SS brake lines. Its really simple and if you do it right,
you dont need to disconnect the brake lines. Just unbolt the spindles and
unclip the lines and tie it up to teh spring. Let it dangle....

Its actually quite easy. I think I also replaced the rear brakes and
cylinders while I was at it. I think I did remove the rear brake line after
all. In fact, I know I did because I replaced the lines with SS lines. OK,
 dont suffer 100% from my train accident, some memory does get through from
time to time..... Lucky you!

>Any idea of a fair price to pay for one?

$50 is about right. Thats fair if it comes with all the brake stuff on it.
(its good to have spares)

>I was going to put a TT exhaust on it and if I drop the rear it would be
>the perfect time for that.

I agree, perfect! :)

>I have to be honest here....I'm thinking of getting rid of the little
>beast.  It's been fun as hell, but I'm not sure I want to spend half
>my life fixing it all the time.  If I had the place to keep it and
>work on it, I'd probably get another more practical car for work
>(Passat VR6!) and fix the Rocco up.  Seeing as I don't have the place
>to work on it or store it, this could spell the end for my Rocco :(

Rick, your talking like a crazy person! Whats the mattah with you, eh? Do
us all a favor, take your right hand, ball it up nice and tight and with
everything you got, target your right eye with a sweet little hook! Then
send us the pictures....  :)

Why stop now? you've almost got a fully restored Scirocco!! :)

(Why I oughta..!)

Just go fix da kaa!!!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi