Headlite Relays?

I'm finally getting around to installing relays on my headlights.  One
problem - I'm not sure how to set them up.  I figure two 30 amp relays is
enough for the 400W of high beams I'm running, but I don't know where the
relays will fit in.  I've looked at the Bentley diagram, and understand it,
but should the inboard H1s get a relay, and then the outboard H4s get
another, or should the left and right side lights get one each?  I'm
assuming the former option is the better, but I'm not entirely sure how to
wire up relays to the H4s.  Can anyone help?

One more thing - a car audio friend of mine says I should never have relays
anywhere under the hood.  He says the insides will corrode and the relay
will be dead in 6 months.  Any experience with this?  Mounting headlite
relays underneath the sheet metal behind the lights would be very
convenient, but if they're going to crap out after a few months...

Any other comments, ie wire guage, fuses, etc, are also appreciated!