Re: Headlite Relays?

At 11:41 PM 7/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm finally getting around to installing relays on my headlights.  One
>problem - I'm not sure how to set them up.  I figure two 30 amp relays is
>enough for the 400W of high beams I'm running, but I don't know where the
>relays will fit in.  I've looked at the Bentley diagram, and understand it,
>but should the inboard H1s get a relay, and then the outboard H4s get
>another, or should the left and right side lights get one each?  I'm
>assuming the former option is the better, but I'm not entirely sure how to
>wire up relays to the H4s.  Can anyone help?

        When I wired mine, granted I am not pushing the same wattage as you
are, but I used one relay for the high beams and one for the low beams.  On
my scirocco 1 I was able to mount the relays just aft of the windsheild
washer reservoir and used the wires from the right side headlight to trip
the relays.
        Two of the contacts are the side which operate the magnet which
closes the switch that runs current to the lights on two other terminals.
So, run nice thick gauge wire for your lights and the wires (may need
extensions) for your relays are there.  ***Make sure you solder any splices
that you make and use shrink tubing to seal them up.  I coated the terminals
with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

>One more thing - a car audio friend of mine says I should never have relays
>anywhere under the hood.  He says the insides will corrode and the relay
>will be dead in 6 months.  Any experience with this?  Mounting headlite
>relays underneath the sheet metal behind the lights would be very
>convenient, but if they're going to crap out after a few months...

The point of the relays is to keep the high current wire feeding the light
as short as possible and not have them running into the cockpit of the
vehicle.  I have used this approach (relays in the engine compartment but
out of "harm's way") reliably for quite some time now with no relay
failures.  Good relays are sealed, besides.  You can seal your own with RTV
silicone.
>Any other comments, ie wire guage, fuses, etc, are also appreciated!

        Chuck is the electronics man he can add to this...