Re: Headlite Relays?

>At 11:41 PM 7/7/97 -0700, Dom wrote:
>>I'm finally getting around to installing relays on my headlights.  One
>>problem - I'm not sure how to set them up.  I figure two 30 amp relays is
>>enough for the 400W of high beams I'm running, but I don't know where the
>>relays will fit in.  I've looked at the Bentley diagram, and understand it,
>>but should the inboard H1s get a relay, and then the outboard H4s get
>>another, or should the left and right side lights get one each?  I'm
>>assuming the former option is the better, but I'm not entirely sure how to
>>wire up relays to the H4s.  Can anyone help?
>>
>        When I wired mine, granted I am not pushing the same wattage as you
>are, but I used one relay for the high beams and one for the low beams.  On
>my scirocco 1 I was able to mount the relays just aft of the windsheild
>washer reservoir and used the wires from the right side headlight to trip
>the relays.

 But if you're pushing 400W worth of high beam, thats 400W/12V= 33.3A of
current. You should consider a separate relay for left and right side high
beams, as well as one relay to handle both low beams, unless you can find
one relay to handle over 30A for the high beams, maybe a 50A relay. I would
use a relay rated well above the amperage you intend to use. I blew some
Hella relays on my headlights, and I was using 5 or so amps less than what
they were rated.

>        Two of the contacts are the side which operate the magnet which
>closes the switch that runs current to the lights on two other terminals.
>So, run nice thick gauge wire for your lights and the wires (may need
>extensions) for your relays are there.  ***Make sure you solder any splices
>that you make and use shrink tubing to seal them up.  I coated the terminals
>with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

 When I made my relay harness, I used 12 ga. wire for the +ve, 10ga. for
the -ve, one relay for low beams, one for high. I put in a connector
between the right and left side of the harness to make it easier to
install, modify, and remove if necessary. Solder everything, use
polyeflin(probably WAY off on that spelling) heat shrink on all the joints.
This type is sometimes called adhesive heat shrink. It seals better than
regular stuff. For ease of dealing with later, I color coded the same as
Hella did, using yellow,white,red, and black wire where appropriate. I
mounted my relays directly in front of the battery. I've seen other
Sciroccos with relays mounted there, and I haven't had any problems with
relays crapping out on me yet due to it being underhood, its been about 4
months since I did mine.

Brad