Re: NOLOGY DYNO TEST!

At 06:05 PM 7/5/97, you wrote:
>Don't worry Shawn, due to the camaraderie on this list I'm sure everybody
>will send you a few bucks for what you saved them.  (Maybe you'll have
>enough for a cup of coffee!)

Heh-heh!! OK, Sure!  :)

>Before the Net, only you and the Potterman would have known the results.
>Now, lots of people know, especially many who are in the group most likely
>to consider buying that ignition system.  Ain't technolgy great?

Just between you and I, (dont tell anybody) Mike and I were undecided as to
whether or not we would disclose our findings! (Thats how disgruntled we
were!) But, being the fact finders that we are by nature, we had to share.
Ya, technology is great! We can put a robot on Mars, but we cant invent an
affordable ingition system that gives power, actually works AND is street
legal! Thats just great. Dandy. Fine.  :)

>Shawn, You results are probably correct.  I am always skeptical of power
>claims, especially for ignition wires (systems), but keep in mind that a
>single dyno test is not always conclusive.

I too am skeptical of most things in life. I was told by a few "trusted"
souls that these wires are the hot ticket in legally adding power in DSP.
Then, the more I looked into the wires, the more I believed the hype. The
more hype I believed, the more I expected when I finally installed them. Most
bolt on items dont usually give any kind of seat of the pants feel. The idle
and throttle sharpness was enough to impress me. I dont know why it is we
always listen to the jerks selling crap and believe that the snake oil
they're selling will work. I mean, who is it telling me a 1-2hp gain? NOLOGY
is! There has been nobody to tell us that the system works or not. Look at
other ignition systems. They've somewhat been tested in EC and other mags
(Not that they're exactly credible tests themselves..) and basically what
they found is that whatever claims the manufacturer has made, the findings is
pretty close, if not better. So why should we not believe the hype?
Something that is also attractive about the Nology system is that it
soposedly adds power (Which we all know it doesnt) while retaining the stock
ignition system. Nothing to wire in, nothing to cut, and best of all, there
 is no way to accidentally fry the system. (Unless you connect the wires from
the coil amp to the wrong terminals..Prego coil amp in 30 seconds or less.)
What, "single dyno test is not always conclusive"? There was 2 different dyno
tests performed on 2 different engines. Basically it told us that the stock
wires (the 16V wires were pretty old, I must say and my wires were
my 2 year old Blue Ignitors that I replaced with the Nology system 6 months
ago.) 2hp better than the Nology system. MAybe there needs to be more testing
on different cars but since we did the second test backwards as to how we
tested the first car, Id say it was pretty conclusive as to the numbers
produced. Heat was not a factor in either run. While the car was hot the
stock wires installed on the 16V outperformed the Nology system by 2hp. I ran
the stock wires on my Scirocco first so if there would be a difference, we
could point it to the heat of having run the cars. But, since the numbers
were pretty close as to the drop in HP, id say it was most conclusive.

>Also, people have to keep in
>mind what a dyno test actually shows (ie, measures).  Two engines with the
>same hp and torque, and even the same curves may not be the same.  Some
>engines just seem to "windup" faster under accelleration, so track testing
>may show different results.
>Again, I think your results were probably correct.
>Chris

Well, we did get different graph trackings. I have more torque than I do HP
in my car. The power peaks at different locations than do on Mikes chart. (I
have both charts scanned if you would like to see them.) What we measured was
peak HP and peak torque. The actual curves made no difference.
lemme know if you would like to see the dyno graphs, id be happy to send them
to you!
TTYL!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!!!