Re: Dual Ignition coil on Scirocco

Chuck wrote:

> I think the magneto is inferior to the modern electronic ignition at high
> speed. This was popular for VW drag racers, might still be, but it's not
the
> same as the aircraft type. Most aircraft engines run under 3000 RPM.

You're right.  Airplanes only use them to avoid the weight of an electrical
system, and they're pretty reliable as well.  But they don't put out nearly
the spark of an electronic, and generate spurious emissions which render
your
radio a little noisier than it would be otherwise.

As for coil switching, the darling of the airplane crowd is a coil switcher
from MSD (somewhat expensive) that has three coil connections on it.  Two
in, and one out, which allows two rendundant ignition systems and only one
set of plugs (they never fail, at least not all four at once....).

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
email at  langford@hiwaay.net
KR2S project construction at  http://fly.hiwaay.net/~langford