Re: Dual Ignition coil on Scirocco

Mark Langford wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
>
> > I think the magneto is inferior to the modern electronic ignition at high
> > speed. This was popular for VW drag racers, might still be, but it's not
> the
> > same as the aircraft type. Most aircraft engines run under 3000 RPM.
>
> You're right.  Airplanes only use them to avoid the weight of an electrical
> system, and they're pretty reliable as well.
Ive been training to be a professional pilot for 2 years now and if
memory serves me correctly the Private Pilot test asks a question to as
airplanes have a magneto setup, the answer is to provide a totally
redundent ignition system so if the left mag fails you can run of the
right mag, with of course a rpm drop. I would think it would be
incredibly expesive to install one in a car but then again i know little
of automotive ignition systems. On the other hand the more switches and
dials the better (read as cooler).
  But they don't put out nearly