oil pan bolts

Jason wrote:

> but it seems that I've run into a new problem.  I
> can't remove the oilpan cuz of two very awkwardly placed bolts.

Try quarter inch drive 10mm socket with a universal joint, or get a 10mm
universal socket.  I never can get them to torque correctly though, no
matter what I use on those two...

By the way, today I thought I'd blown up my 87 16V engine.  Lost power thru
a 60 mph freeway exit (marked 25, of course) with lots of black smoke, etc.
 Eventually it quit, and my wife towed me home with her Jetta GLi.  Checked
compression, spark, fuel pressures, and eventually got around to
differential fuel pressure.  Went to the temp sensor to disconnect it, and
it was already kinda loose!  Got to thinking about it, and it was on the
outside of the curve.  Centrifugal force threw it off!  Plugged it in,
dried the soaked plugs in the oven, and drove it around the block!!!!!!!!
Even the simple stuff can leave you walking...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
email at  langford@hiwaay.net
KR2S project construction at  http://fly.hiwaay.net/~langford