Non-CIS 16V?

Not that I'm complaining about CIS-E or anything, but I have a project car (an '81 Scirocco S with a 1.8L 16V motor) that has all the wrong equipment ('84 GTI 8V CIS, Opel Manta distributor w/ points) on it.  The car runs like a bat out of hell, but it's ill-mannered.

What I would *like* to do is fit a distributorless programmable EFI/ignition system like MoTeC or Electromotive, or maybe even a complete system scavenged off of a Quad-4 in a junkyard or something (with enough reverse-engineering of the EPROM, who knows?)

The big question: can the 16V intake be machined to accept Bosch solenoid-style injectors?  Do current 16V motors still use CIS injectors?

Thanks in advance,

Ken Greenlaw
'81 Scirocco S 16V / 87 Scirocco 16V
'79 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce / '88 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde
miscellaneous Vespa motorscooters and a '92 Ducati 907ie