Re: Dual Ignition coil on Scirocco

At 08:24 AM 7/2/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Sounds like the A-B box has some special relays in it. An expensive critter,
>I bet. It would be neat to switch to another ignition without moving from
>the driver's seat!

Well, im sure their version is very expensive. I bet its got all the high
tech wizardry of the modern era. They have one box, which houses 2 complete
ignition systems and one switch controls between the two. Not just a set of
coils, but the entire system. Im sure a cheaper setup can be made for pretty
cheap.

>I think the magneto is inferior to the modern electronic ignition at high
>speed. This was popular for VW drag racers, might still be, but it's not the
>same as the aircraft type. Most aircraft engines run under 3000 RPM. Seems
>to me I saw something about the spark getting weak at high RPM. The big
>advantage is you don't need a battery for spark - so you can save weight in
>a drag car?

In racing applications, the Magneto is the way to go, completely. it has the
capacity to give the same spark at any given rpm. (Well, some models can do
this, it wouldnt be fair to clump all magnetos in one group. They have
different performance capabilities like most any other ingition product.
#1, they're expensive. Simple as that. Back when I was working as an aircraft
mechanic, I overhauled Magneto sets. They are designed to work at a peak
power output for aviation engines but thats by design. All that is needed is
adding larger coils and the mag will spark with a fury at 12,000 rpms. If
anybody has ever seen the actual coil that goes into an aviation mag would be
amazed. They're tiny, like maybe "C" battery sized! Itsy bitsy and they put
out a bunch of juice.
The main advantage to using a magneto is you effectively eliminate the need
for an ignition system. its all contained within the mag. You eliminate alot
of additional parts that could fail. (And when your flying there IS no curb
to pull over to.)

Well, thats my take on the whole thing...

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!!!