Re: Dual Ignition coil on Scirocco

At 11:56 7/1/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I've often wondered why they dont use a Magneto setup. Probably because its
>not allowed by the rules I would imagine.
>

>Shawn

Sounds like the A-B box has some special relays in it. An expensive critter,
I bet. It would be neat to switch to another ignition without moving from
the driver's seat!

I think the magneto is inferior to the modern electronic ignition at high
speed. This was popular for VW drag racers, might still be, but it's not the
same as the aircraft type. Most aircraft engines run under 3000 RPM. Seems
to me I saw something about the spark getting weak at high RPM. The big
advantage is you don't need a battery for spark - so you can save weight in
a drag car?

No personal experience, unless you count the time I tried a Judson
Electronic 'Magneto' in my '68 Bug - no, I did NOT buy it - it was given to
me - it worked, but hard to say about any performance gains...I think it was
just a cleverly packaged standard coil. Sure LOOKED nasty, anyhow.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (almost finished)
'58 Ghia Convert