scirocco-l@privatei.com

At 01:27 PM 1/28/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Chris,
>Upon urging from my older brother who is a mechanic for a Porsche racing
>team in Miami and his past experiences with Scirocco's (he had a badass
>81-completely tricked out), I went ahead and drilled my airbox.  He also
>mentioned a piece that is found in the hose going into the airbox (I
>think this maybe the "snorkel" you're talking about but I DON'T REALLY
>KNOW).  He said that I could take that out also to enhance performance.
>Since I don't know what this is, I decided against it.  Anyway, after
>drilling the hole and putting in a new K&N filter, the car was
>noticeably more powerful.  I'm not exactly sure whether it was the hole
>or the filter.  I did not know that hot air was bad, maybe I'll make
>some sort of hose and attach it to the airbox-front grill to bring in
>more cooled air.  Is this a good idea or bad idea?  That's my two cents
>worth, no facts are stated just information I have gathered from my
>experience.
>
>John
>80 Scirocco S

Hi everybody:
Since I do know quite a bit about this topic and somebody asked me to
comment, here goes. (At least I think I do) I will speak up and be heard
by all. :)

I have spent alot of time doing research on this very interesting theory.
What I have found out, the consensus I find from many different people
with cars at many different stages of performance mods and hp is this:

The only thing I was told on a consistant basis is that overall the mod
definately does help out on top end power only (Especially on 11-1 and
higher motors) but nothing amazing in gains.

 for most of us, expect the the following to be true:
On cold days, the car will run strong and power will be good thru all
bands. (So the mod is great for the winter months? I definately think so)
On hot days, the car will suffer and have less power.

So whats the way to have the best of both worlds? Simple actually. Get
yourself a seconds lower airbox to leave stock for them hot summer days
and in the cooler days, put in the freeflowng swiss cheezed airbox! Thats
a simple fix, except for having to do the actual swap of the boxes.

My own experience is that I have swiss cheezed the box on all sides EXCEPT
for the side that faces the engine and the side that faces the radiator. I
try and keep as much hot-hot air from going directly into the airbox as
possible. The air that does go in, I believe has to have been mixed a bit
with cooler air before it gets in. (Works in theory and i've never had it
ping on me in the summer!)

My latest mod was to take the "snorkel" as I sopose its being called (The
black air inlet tube from the bottom of the airbox and runs down and goes
into the front clip) and disconnect it from the clip. Next I used an air
scoop and mounted it to the bottom of and behind the air dam. (I painted
it black so it doesnt show up as well) I mounted the black plastic (stock
piece) 90deg piece to the air scoope and left about an 1" gap to let water
flow (in the rain) through and under the car and not into the airbox.

Somebody has a little diagram of doing a mod that puts this little 90deg
end lower in the airstream. What I did is the same concept only its
accentuated with the air scoope, drawing in more cool RAM air. I can
honestly say I did notice a gain in performance but there too, it was all
top end!

My goal in doing this was to draw in as much cool air for this summer for
those autoxes in the desert of Norton AFB! Last year, I ran in a few 120
degree events and every advantage is needed to beat those guys!

The bottom line.
Most enthusiats wont notice a gain on a stock Scirocco. What you will
notice is after the mod is, you will hear a growl that wasnt there before.
it sounds cool. it sounds like it gains a few ponies but in theory, it
doesnt gain much, if at all on the low end. What it does gain will be top
end and even that wont be much. The main thing about doing this mod is its
free! Its only gonna take you 30 minutes to remove and hack the bottom box
all up.

(WARNING DO NOT CUT THE TOP OF THE AIRBOX!!!!!! ONLY CUT THE BOTTOM BOX
WHERE THE AIR FILTER SITS INTO!!!!!! )

I had to say that because I recently read somewhere somebody decided to
cut the top box since it sounded sooooo cool, he wanted it to to sound
even cooler!  Uh, no. Not a good idea.

Anyways, thats what I know about it. Now if you'll excuse me, I will slip
back to my lurking mode....... :)
L8R

Shawn