Re: CC: Airbox snorkel?

Chris Taylor wrote:

>                        Postage paid by: [Image]

> At 11:13 PM 1/27/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >This is my firt time hearing about drilling the airbox.  I have an '86 16V
> >and was wondering how much improvement will this give me.  I'm guessing we
> >drill the bottom half.  This is all new to me so... any advice is
> >appreciated.  Thanx
> >
> >Mike
>
> Here we go, everyone, the SECOND most controversial mod.  Well, I have not
> done this.  I don't intend on doing it either.  From what I know, and this
> may be wrong, drilling the airbox gets more air in there, which
> theoretically will bring more hp.  On the other hand, that air is hot air
> from around the engine, which is bad.  So I believe the 2 cancel each other
> out and leave you with just cool sound.  Again, I don't have the facts.
> That's just what I have decided for myself.
>
> Guys?
>
> Chris Taylor
> '87 Scirocco G60-to-be
>
> Virginia Tech
> chtaylo4@vt.edu
> chtaylo4@aol.com

Chris,
Upon urging from my older brother who is a mechanic for a Porsche racing
team in Miami and his past experiences with Scirocco's (he had a badass
81-completely tricked out), I went ahead and drilled my airbox.  He also
mentioned a piece that is found in the hose going into the airbox (I
think this maybe the "snorkel" you're talking about but I DON'T REALLY
KNOW).  He said that I could take that out also to enhance performance.
Since I don't know what this is, I decided against it.  Anyway, after
drilling the hole and putting in a new K&N filter, the car was
noticeably more powerful.  I'm not exactly sure whether it was the hole
or the filter.  I did not know that hot air was bad, maybe I'll make
some sort of hose and attach it to the airbox-front grill to bring in
more cooled air.  Is this a good idea or bad idea?  That's my two cents
worth, no facts are stated just information I have gathered from my
experience.

John
80 Scirocco S