CC: Airbox snorkel?

At 11:13 PM 1/27/97 -0800, you wrote:
>This is my firt time hearing about drilling the airbox.  I have an '86 16V
>and was wondering how much improvement will this give me.  I'm guessing we
>drill the bottom half.  This is all new to me so... any advice is
>appreciated.  Thanx
>
>Mike

Here we go, everyone, the SECOND most controversial mod.  Well, I have not
done this.  I don't intend on doing it either.  From what I know, and this
may be wrong, drilling the airbox gets more air in there, which
theoretically will bring more hp.  On the other hand, that air is hot air
from around the engine, which is bad.  So I believe the 2 cancel each other
out and leave you with just cool sound.  Again, I don't have the facts.
That's just what I have decided for myself.

Guys?

Chris Taylor
'87 Scirocco G60-to-be

Virginia Tech