Re: Heater core?

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, scirocco boy wrote:

> Question, How do you know when your heater core is leaking?

The hose connections are on the driver's side so if the passenger's
floorboard is soaked, I would start looking closer. Remove the center
console / shift-boot and the heater housing is right there. If the thing
is leaking, you should be able to see "crusty - deposits" along the seam
on the bottom of the housing. To investigate futher, pop-off 2 of the
"U-shaped" clips that hold the clam-shell housing together and gentle (I
do mean gently) pry the 2 halves apart  (2") for inspection. An easier
test would be to stuff some paper towels under the bottom of the heater
housing and drive the car around for awhile and then check the towels.

If it is a bad core, BUMMER! It is no fun to replace! I recently "gutted"
my rocco (heater and all) and then put the heater back in when the temps
fell below 10F.

TIP: When you remove the 2 screws holding the heater housing to the upper
bulk-head, the main heat exhaust openings are "in the way". Heat a large
phillips screwdriver (red-hot) and burn a hole through the plastic in
order to make the screws accessable. Also after removing the screws and
preparing to extract the housing, be VERY CAREFUL not to damage the large
resistor that is on top of the housing by the motor. If is un - protected
and looks fragile (and expensive).

Good luck, and hope it is not a bad heater core!

Harry