Re: URGENT!! trans question

In a message dated 97-01-14 00:11:25 EST, hugacub@whidbey.net (Lisa & Rick)
writes:

<< My BIG question is, when they installed the clutch (9 days, 1,000
 miles earlier), should they have been able to spot any signs of the
 "self machining"?  Or is this something that is totally impossible to
 see before it happens?   >>

Well, I do not see how there is any way for them to see that something was
going wrong with the internals of your tranny if they only looked at the
externals.  I mean, between the time you dropped the car off with them for
the clutch replacemnt, and the 1,000 miles you drive until it started to
leak, is a LOT of time for ANY problem to surface.  Who knows, the internal
wear might not have even started until 500-700 miles AFTER the clutch was
installed.  Sorry to say man, but shit happens, and nobody is immune from it.
 I have good experience on THAT rule!  ;-)  All in all, there was no way for
them to detect that your tranny was eating itself inside without taking the
trans apart.  Everything that was wearing out the case was doing it from the
INSIDE.  Sorry, but I believe you are going to have to pay the labor.
 Bummer.

Tim :)

'84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco