Re: URGENT!! trans question

Lisa & Rick wrote:

Hello,
	Man I'm real sorry to hear this has happened. I can feel the pain.

> seal, we'll replace it along with the disc and give you a loaner
> car."  I was pleased as punch.
>
> Today Jerry calls back and says it wasn't the seal, it was the
> flywheel rubbing the trans and the trans is shot.  He said it (the
> 210) was the wrong flywheel, as he originally thought when they were
> doing the clutch.  I told him that since no noise was evident, I
> found that tough to believe.

So much for the great service story at the VW dealer, :-) Actually like
you I don't think it was their fault, but I guess we have the story was
too good to be true.

> We didn't discuss any labor charges or such, I left him with, I'll
> get back to you tomorrow and decide how to go from here.  He got
> prices on trannies (@ twice as high as Mark Davison) and told me that
> it was the slow time for them for repairs and I could have a bit of
> time to get a trans.  He also said he wasn't hurting for the loaner
> and I could use it.

You mention Mark, Well Mark saved me about $700 once when I had him call
my mechanic and discuss a transmission problem with him. My mechanic was
ready to put a new transmission in untill Mark and him had a discussion.
Incidently my Mechanic (Jerry also) is very very good usually and as he
always reminds me he's been in business since 1965.

> My BIG question is, when they installed the clutch (9 days, 1,000
> miles earlier), should they have been able to spot any signs of the
> "self machining"?  Or is this something that is totally impossible to
> see before it happens?

I don't know and I wish I could help you but your best bet might be to
contact Mark Davison and see what he says, Maybe he can do the same
thing he did for me. It was espically helpfull for me since my mechanic
and him speak the same language while I'm not very mechanically
inclined.