Re: Instrument cluster ights...

On 13 Jan 97 at 16:24, coutinho.ka@pg.com wrote:

>      One of my instrument cluster lights seems to have blown.  The
>      "trip
> computer" display is no longer lit, I'm assuming it's got it's own
> bulb.  Anyone had a simliar problem or know how I'd replace that
> bulb?

I did this a few months back, not that tough.  You have 3 bulbs in
there, one for the "trip puter", and one each for the tach and
speedo.  Do all three and save yourself some grief.

You need to remove the trays in front of the fuse panel to gain
access to the rear of the intrument cluster so you can remove the
speedo cable and the wiring connectors.  When removing the wires,
gently rock them back and forth and work them off.  you don't want to
be rough, or you could damage the circuits on the inst cluster.

You need to remove the screws (2, I think) that hold the inst cluster
cover on and remove the cover from the front. Then remove the screws
that hold the cluster in the dash (3?).   You don't need to take
off the steering wheel to get the cluster out, but if you want it
will give you more room to manuever.

Once the cluster's out, removing the bulb holders to replace the
bulbs can be a little difficult.  You can use some pliers to GENTLY
twist the plastic holders counter-clockwise.

Replacing is the opposite of removal.

There's probably a few things I've forgotten that someone can add to
this.  If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA
(On Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound)