Frustrated Greg

Ok, here'z my 2 cents:

1. I assume that your ignition switch is OK
2. You said that you bought a new fuel pump relay, so that's fine
3. You have a newer Scirocco so you don't have that stupid ballast resisor
to worry about...

You said that you jumped power directly to the coil and that it didn't work
(started smoking ?) was this with the new coil that you had ?  Do you have
electronic ignition ?

I hate to recommend this, but start at the fuse box with a Volt/Ohm/Amp
meter, a copy of the wiring and a good friend....  but let me know more
about what you've done...

a.