Weird Phenoms

Howdy all,
First, I'd like to thank everyone (including Brett and Andre) with their
help in regards to the problem I was having with my engine running
weird. I drove out of town this weekend with no problem.  Yesterday
(Sunday), I tightened the alternator belt (don't hear any slippage),
changed the fuel filter and the sparkplugs.  The car ran fine, not
perfect, but no worse than before.  Although this morning, I seemed to
be having more of the same problem (felt like engine was missing, not
getting gas or something).  It was very cold this morning, below
freezing. I can't figure out what this is.
Another weird thing happened this weekend.  I put a new stereo in this
weekend.  I don't have any amps or subs or anything special.  Hooked up
everything, it worked fine.  Now lets go back.  For some time I have
noticed that at times my lights (all lights, interior and exterior) will
be noticeably brighter than at other times.  This occurs when I
accelerate and other odd times.  It also seems (maybe my imagination)
that I have more power at these times.  In relation to the new stereo,
whenever this phenom occurs, my stereo loses power and turns off.
Everything else stays the same.
I have many other problems with this car, but am trying to figure them
out on my own.  It's getting to be a little overwhelming, but I am
determined.

Thanks for all your help,

John
80 Scirocco S