Re: G60 lore

> Date:          Sun, 12 Jan 1997 17:30:36 +0500
> To:            scirocco-l@privatei.com
> From:          Chris Taylor <chtaylo4@vt.edu>
> Subject:       G60 lore

Right well....
Yes, there were A LOT of 16v Corrados in Europe, especially in the
UK, where approx half of them were 16v. The engine is COMPLETELY
different to the standard 1.8 8v, being considerably strengthened and
slightly lightened, so it might work putting a G-charger onto a
normal 1.8l or even a 2.0l, but the body probably won't last long.
G-Charged engines run a LOT hotter then normal 1.8s, so in hind-sight
it's probably not worth it. The extra benefits of the 2.0l engine,
over the 1.8l, don't come to much with a supercharger, as most of the
gains are at the top end, and you tend to run out of rev-counter with the
G-Chargers anyway! So far as 16v G-60s, yes there are a few going
around, mainly in Golf Limiteds (only 200 made), but putting a 16v
head onto a 1.8l G60 sounds pretty cool to me. Most important if you
are considering replacing an 8v with a G60, get a higher rated
gearbox. Running out of steam at 130, at 6500rpm is no fun
whatsoever, trust me, I have a 1.9l Scirocco, and this does this
fairly often.

> Just wondering--I know there were a few 16v Corrados in Europe.  Were those
> C's supercharged?  g60 16v's?  How about displacement?   All 1.8l or any 2.0L?
>
> In a few months, my 1.8 16v will be 2L.  Is it possible to one day throw on
> a supercharger onto a 2L 16v?  Or will I have to get an 8v engine?  Or just
> bump down to 1.8L agian?
>
> Grazi!
>
> Chris Taylor
> '87 16v Scirocco [garaged 'til fair weather prevails]
>
> Virginia Tech
> chtaylo4@vt.edu
> chtaylo4@aol.com

Jeremy R. Bromley       --- Events Manager, Corrado Club of Great Britain
eMail to - jbromley@enterprise.net