Re: The engine's in, now there are electrical gremilins...

At 03:41 PM 11/01/97 -0800, you wrote:
>OK, here's the story:
>
>1982 Scirocco, transplanted with a 1988 Cab Engine (JH) The engine is now
>in, but I can't seem to get any spark.
>
>First, I thought that the fuel pump relay was blown.

Now that I look at this, it is seemingly a jump in logic. The fuel pump did
not, and does not run. I got it running with the jumper, thinking that the
car would fire up when I tried the starter, and then I found that I got no
spark.

Now, upon further reflection, I decided to go through Haynes and make sure
that I wasn't missing anything. Off to Canadian Tire for a multimeter. The
coil is fine, the ignition unit is fine, and then I went to check the Hall
Sender. Does anyone know if they changed the connector to the Hall sender
from 82 ot 88? It seems that I am not making any connection. (This is the
three female connector thingy that plugs into the distrubutor) I don't seem
to be able to push it in deep enough to make a connection. I don't want to
force it for fear of breaking it, but is this what I have to do, or should I
seek out a connector from an 88cab or Hall sender for an 82 'rocco? I
destroyed the hall sender on the old engine, otherwise I'd just swap it in...

Would this lack of connection be the cause of what I thought my initial
problem was, that is, no fuel pump action?

Help.