The engine's in, now there are electrical gremilins...

OK, here's the story:

1982 Scirocco, transplanted with a 1988 Cab Engine (JH) The engine is now
in, but I can't seem to get any spark.

First, I thought that the fuel pump relay was blown. I created a jumper, and
bridged the appropriate terminals, and the fuel pump buzzed. OK, so I go to
the parts guy, and he sells me a new relay. $45.00! Ouch, but if that's all
that keeps my car from running, it's a good deal.

Get home, put the relay in, and nothing. Dammit, $45.00 down the drain, but
a good insurance policy if I ever need one. :(

So I decide to check spark. Nothing coming off of the coil. I am getting
about 5v into the coil from a crappy battery (now down to less than 10.)
When I bridged the terminals, the ground running from the coil to the
camshaft cover started smoking at the camshaft cover end. Yikes, Undid it,
but it didn't make any difference.

I'll be borrowing a neighbor's Ohmmeter tomorrow to check the coil, but a
buddy had an Accel coil lying around so we decided to try that. To no avail.

HELP! Basically the story is this: No power out of the coil, when 5v was
going in, and the fuel pump relay problem.

I had no problems being stumped by the mechanical part of this swap as I
could just step back and assess what was needed. However, I'm afraid it's
been a few years since grade 12 physics, and my electrical knowledge is
failing me at this point.

A very frustrated Greg. (Actually, at one point today I was seething.)