Re: GOT MY 'ROCCO!

At 10:52 PM 2/26/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Well, after MANY MANY months of wanting a Scirocco, I picked up an 81 last
>night.  I paid $1800 for it, and got the following: STRAIGHT BODY!  Original
>Mars Red paint (beautiful shape), Eibach Pro springs, Tokico Illumina
>Shocks/struts, GTi Teardrop rims w/new Yokohama 185/60-14's, K&N drop-in air
>filter, Neuspeed throttlebody, custom exhaust (too loud, glasspack gotta
>go!), '86 Jetta 1.8l 8v engine (miles?), '86 Jetta sport buckets (comfy,
>hight adjustable!), Sub box (12") already fiberglassed and sealed into spare
>tire well, armor door guards.

sounds nice! I love the way my 81 looks and drives, and yours is a lot more
modified than mine!

>What it needs: Normal body work, parking lights fixed, exhaust replaced,
>tranny replaced (has a WIDE ratio 5sp with bad 3rd gear syncro), parking
>brake, etc....
>
>Here's my questions/requests/comments:
>
>- Anybody have an '81 Scirocco owners manual?

yup, I've got Bently, Chiltons, and a Haynes bibles.

>- Guy that sold it to me has a rebuilt close-ration GTi tranny that he's
>willing to part with for $400...is this a good deal?

You definatley wont like that tranny at freeway speeds. I've got 81 tranny
wide the widest gears they put in a VW and sometimes on the freeway (100+
mph) i wish it was taller :)

>- I can't get the parking lights (or dash lights) to work by themselves.
>Grounds are good, and had to temporarily put a jumper between the headlights
>so they will operate when I need them.  I WANT THIS WORKING!  What should I
>look for?  Unless I jumper it, I have no parking lights, or dash lights.

Sounds like a typical VW electrical gremlin. Check the back of your fusebox
and the connectors going into it for corrosion.

Keep me informed man! I love to hear about Mk 1 scirocco modfications