Re: Multiple Easy (i.e. Dumb) Questions

Tim Ebling writ:

>First off, the dash.  What's the small wheel control above the
>head-light switch for?  I thought it might be a dimmer for the
>instrument lights or a delay wiper interval adjust, but it's neither
>(unless mine is broken).  Second, there's a red LED on the "panel"
>right underneath the rear defrost switch.  Is this stock or not?  It
>hasn't come on yet, to my knowledge.

I don't own a Mk.2 so this is just a guess, but could the LED be the
indicator for an alarm system?

>Next, mechanical stuff.  The car seems to suffer from a couple of
>problems which seem to be common on a lot of Sciroccos.  First, the
>vibration level is nasty.  The vibrations are mostly from the dash.
> I'll need to adjust the idle speed (it's at about 800 now, if it were
>1000 it'd be ok) and maybe tighten up the stuff in the dash.  Other
>than doing an electrical tune up, including timing, I can't think of
>how else to help this.

I don't think VW's are ever that smooth to start with but a bad engine
mount will make the car feel like a you have a jackhammer under the hood
instead of a motor.  The passenger side mount seems notorious for going
bad.

>Also, it's hard to shift into first.  I have to put it in second, then
>while pushing hard to the left, move it into first.  What a drag.  Is
>this just a matter of replacing the shifter bushings?  Is that an easy
>job?

Is it hard to get into first even at a stop?  Are there grinding noises
when you shift into 1st?  Dunno but worn synchros, bad linkages, improper
(too viscous?) gear oil could cause your symptoms.  Also, make sure your
clutch is properly adjusted.  If it's not releasing completely, gear
changes will be difficult.  I'm sure others will point you in the right
direction.  Good luck, b-------