Subject: Re: Gauges?
Author:  Ilias Glavinas <eg1@ee.wustl.edu> at TGATE
Date:    2/26/97 12:28 PM

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Riley McDowall wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Chris Taylor wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any suggestions for more guage locations on a Scirocco 2,
> > besides the 3-ga. panel?  Perhaps in the corners of the dash/speedometer
area?

> I think mounting them there, or attached to your A pillars would look
> decidedly non-stock, bordering on racecar-delusional.  You could fit
> another 3 or so guages underneath the stock radio position, if you don't
> mind blocking that storage space off.  It would be a fairly simple
> install, and it would look OE to boot.  If you don't like that idea, how
> about below the dash, level with the heat controls (around the cig lighter
> area)?

I have had that same obsession recently, too. Not so much because I need
more gauges, but because I think it would look impressive to have a
cluster of 6 gauges in front of you (I am thinking of getting --in
addition to the standard three-- an ammeter, a water temp and a clock--
don't laugh...).

Since I already have the angled Audi GT panel, I was planning to get one
more and trim it and fit it. Ideally I would have liked it in the radio
area, so all 6 gauges would be together, but (1)the radio slot is not as
tall as the gauge slot above it, and (2)where would I put the radio anyway?

Next I thought of mounting it directly below the radio, but (1)you can't
see the gauges well at all when 1st-3rd-5th are in, and (2)you can then
have no access to the two screws that hold the around-the-stick trim to
the center console. Then I thought of putting the gauges at the bottom of
the C-box space. See problem (1) in this paragraph.

If somebody ever manages to fit 3 more gauges to the Scirocco-II center
console and it looks 'stocky' enough, please let me know. I have a
dremmel tool which will let me shape anything into whatever I want, but I
think there is simply not enough space for more gauges without making the
interior look silly.

Ilias