Harness

Is a harness equipped car safer than the usual lap and shoulder plus airbag
combo in a collision?

I have no experience with a harness so I have some questions.  Are there
four and five (and more?) point harnesses, and if so, what are their
differences/pros/cons etc?

Are these things easy to live with in a daily driver?

I remember seeing a harness which required them to be anchored to the rear,
making the rear seats unuseable.  Are they all like this or are there some
that attach only to the front?  Do they require special seats with special
mounting points?