Ok, who can answer this???

My tranny used to be popping out of 5th after 30 min or so in the
highway. Oil level was not the problem. The tranny was also making a
funny little noise that would go away as soon as I pressed the clutch
pedal, so I figured some bearing was worn in the tranny.

In December on my way to Chicago, I arrived at the city and got off the
highway when I discovered that 1st through 4th would not go in easily at
all. I had to doubleclutch to get 1st in, 3rd would not go in no matter
what. The car sat in Chicago undriven for about 2 weeks, then I put in
4th and drove it to St. Louis in mid January. Temperatures then were
around 10s-20s. Not only was the tranny completely messed up (I would put
reverse in, and then would have to struggle to take it out of there and
find the rest of the gears), but it was engaging gears while in neutral!

I bought a used 4k tranny. My car had not been driven since mid-January,
and last night I started it up in order to move it ~10ft to the garage.
Much to my surprise, neutral was now normal, and all gears engaged fine.
I drove the car for half an hour and everything engaged properly, even
though 1st is tough to get into --no need for doubleclutching though. The
car is very drivable now --although it it clear that the tranny has a
problem, plus it makes semi-nasty sounds now.

What in the world could have 'fixed' my tranny? Was it the temperature
difference (last night was in the 40s)? I thought that the bearing on the
clutch side was mostly gone, and probably one or more of the synchros,
and I thought damage like that would be irreversible. Any ideas?

Ilias