knock sensor

Hi, I was just wondering how much trouble it is to wire in a knock sensor
because I may be able to get a 1.8 with the 10:1 compression.  My car
presently has just the 8.5:1 1.8L, so no knock sensor. A few people I
have talked with have said the knock sensor isn't needed but I say It
SHOULD be used because of the higher compression. What happens if the KS
isn't installed.  My engine has the basic CIS , the other had CIS-E
( so there would be a bit more involved anyway )

Any thoughts??

Dave