Re: Deep throats of yesterday's autocross.....By Jack Handy

At 09:47 PM 2/17/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I used to do this.  A few people have passed on the idea that one should
>learn the course *before* the first lap, and use the first lap to figure
>out how fast is too fast.  I currently subscribe to this philosophy.

Something that makes a person learn a course quickly is constant exposure to a
given track, or, being forced to learn a new track each race. This is fine but the
problem with that is on average, we have only one race a month. So the learning
curve is pretty slow, at this rate.
To me, walking a course 5 times doesnt do for me what driving it once does. At the
last Porsche Event that I raced in, they do a parade lap where even tho your going
really slow, it gives you a real feel for the track. I know for that reason, I
drove better on that day than I do on most autocross days.
I think it amounts to each driver finding what works best for them. For me, im
still not sure. There are many factors for me to drive a course well, consistantly.
Randy's 8+ autox years really shows. This being my 3rd makes me feel i've come
along way from where I was, but still know there is much to learn.

>Not this weekend, as I was learning the car..had a good idea of the course,
>helped set it up, 2 walks (normally look for 4-6 at local events, as many
>as possible at big events).  Dunno.  As you can read, I am a bit washy on
>the subject - learning the course is imperative - and if you go hot on your
>first lap, you might never see that you are WAY too late at *that* corner.
>There are 2 sides to the coin.  I sorta agree with you this time.  Getting
>the good line down is important, but at the same time, if you only have 3
>chances (at Tours/Nats), well, is using one up at 8/10 worth it?  Not
>saying "right or wrong" here, just thinking.

I agree, its good food for thought. My gut feeling is that on a 3 run event, the
first lap is hard, but still a bit conservative. Figure out where your going slow,
(usually just as you go through a section) and try to improve the next, like
anything. Im not sure about your track but ours (San Diego, Jack Murphy Staduim,
soon to be sportless..) is not at all an even surface. (Uphill/downhill, offcamber,
ect.) While I think that hurts everybodies performance, I think it also amplifies
the learning curve for everybody. Whern I go to a flat track (Like Norton AFB) My
car feels great. Im sure its bacause its a flat track with a good surface.
When your used to getting only 3 runs, I think its pretty safe and for some people,
a good idea to take the first run a little easier than you would want to. (say 85%)
Then as you go on, the 2nd run is a 95% effort. The 3rd is 100% and the 4th 110%.
I've done this at my last 3 races in San Diego and everytime, I blew a section
somewhere (too hot or too cold) and was slower on my 4th run. In each event, my 3rd
run was fastest. At the event
 at Norton, my 4th was my fastest. Go figure.

>I've not driven my car since BT drove it (on a course, where it matters),
>but I am sure I'll be able to focus better on the course now that I KNOW it
>can go faster.  Get RW to take a run or two in the car, see what he can do.
>Might be enlightening, and say he does not go faster - well, if BT did not
>go faster in mine, I might unknowingly think that *I* was doing something
>better than him.  Keep dreaming, I know, but the mental bit of Solo is good
>for a few tenths at least.

Sounds like you have a confidence problem with the car? Understandable since you
just changed the suspension. I wondered why you didnt go off somewhere and to some
testing of your own? I do most everytime I change something. I've got a nice,
quiet, empty, twisty road and a steep hill to do HP tests. Works for me, until I
get my own shop with a dyno and computer test equipment. I already got a G-meter
pro, so im on my way! :)-

>Yeah, but see, YOU don't live 1/2 way between here and Laughlin.  See, you
>and RW and anyone else can stay at my place on your way out, ahh, a nice
>break in delightful Boulder, a measly 8 hours to Topuka!  Cool, eh?  From
>what I've heard, I'm not sorry I missed another Blanchard fiasco.  I think
>I told you, not a big fan of CMC-RMR events reputations.  Anyway.

Huh? Im 1085 miles (15 hrs) from you and your 562 miles (7+ hrs) from topeka! You
were only a measly 11 hrs to Laughlin and there were many kin-folk from Colorado
there. :)-
It wasnt that bad. The track was tight, and short, but we got lots of runs and
other than mothernature not cooperating on sunday, it was a great weekend. (I
believe it was Randy who complained about it to you?) Do you know he DNF'd all 3
runs in saturday? Ya, it be true. So I can understand why he didnt like it. Sunday
he had more fun tho.
Im not making fun of him either, I still have a long way to go before I can catch
him. I think my car is about there tho! :)-

>Glad I have somewhere to ramble......

Glad im not the only rambler around!
:)

Shawn