Re: Engine cleaning

At 04:29 PM 2/17/97 -0800, you wrote:

>So, where does one go to get their engine steam cleaned?  Any dangers in
>steam cleaning?  I assume that there is a jet of steam that someone passes
>over the motor and all the grease magically melts away?

I take my car to one of those "do it yourself spray and wash" places. The
one I go to has an engine cleaning setting that sprays a soap on the motor
and degreases it. Then I wash the whole car while the cleaner penetrates
into the grease. Then go back and rince the engine off. I try and stay
clear of the distributor but have never had problem with it starting
afterwords. Some cars dont like getting washed and it may take a while to
get it to dry off enough to run right. Sometimes you may have to remove the
distributor cap and wipe it out. (Being carefull not to break the pencil
lead type tip inside) I wash my motor about once every 3-4 months.
Depending on how its looking. The spray that comes off the hose isnt like a
steam cleaning, but more like a pressure wash. It works pretty good.
You will want to hit the same areas at different angles to get the best
cleaning, otherwise you will have a "tan" look to it.
I sometimes get comments from people of, Wow, you must spend alot of time
cleaning it". Not true. I dont spend that much time on it, maybe 45 minuted
at most. But then again, when I work on it, I wipe things down as I go. Its
an aviation habbit of mine. It makes spotting leaks and part failures
easier.

Shawn