Re: Engine mods..what to do?

At 12:12 PM 2/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi guys!  I've been lurking around this list for a while and have seldomly
>given my 2 cents worth.  I own a 81 Scirocco with a 1.7 engine.  It's stock
>but I want to improve its performance.  It has 300,000kms so my question is
>:  Is it worth it to work on this engine or get a new one.  Money, as
>always, is an issue.  Should I just get a 16v installed (if it fits) or just
>improve on what it already has.  Keep in mind that I really don't have the
>financial resources to back me up.  I don't know much about Scirocco's and I
>wish I did.
>
>Thanks for the advice in advance.

Finances and mechanical ability will more than likely make doing an engine swap
out of the question. (especially a 16V conversion) Unless your gonna pay
somebody to do it for you. (Theres the financial thing again.)

The basic engine mods you can do yourself are to get rid of the C-clamp exhaust
manifold and put on a dual outlet manifold and downpipe. You can get these items
from a junkyard for pretty cheap.
Keeping finances in mind, you can get a 2" cat back exhaust system for maybe
$150.
You can get a (HOR)G-grind cam for $99 from autotech.
K&N filter. $25-$35

Thats the cheap, cost effective mods you can do to get more power from your car.

Keep an eye out on the r.a.m.v.w for used parts, ect. When I first started my
project, I bought a complete Neuspeed swaybar package from a guy in louisana for
$225. (22mm front, 28mm rear, upper and lower stress bars) It was all straight
and looked really good. Theres many deals to be had on there. its just a matter
of finding what your looking for at a reasionable price. happy hunting!

Shawn