Re: Engine mods..what to do?

At 12:12 PM 2/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi guys!  I've been lurking around this list for a while and have seldomly
>given my 2 cents worth.  I own a 81 Scirocco with a 1.7 engine.  It's stock
>but I want to improve its performance.  It has 300,000kms so my question is
>:  Is it worth it to work on this engine or get a new one.  Money, as
>always, is an issue.  Should I just get a 16v installed (if it fits) or just
>improve on what it already has.  Keep in mind that I really don't have the
>financial resources to back me up.  I don't know much about Scirocco's and I
>wish I did.
>
>Thanks for the advice in advance.
>
>Sal....
>
>-It's only wrong if you get caught.

I have the exact same car, and i'll say it's a great, fun car. lotsa little
problems but what do you expect in a car thats 16 years old?
My '81 S has about 180k miles which is about the same as your's and i've
been modifying it (with the original 1.7 engine) for a year or two now.
Since i dont have much money, it's usually simple or custom things.
It is totally worth it to me though to see how fast i can get my old car. I
love beating (barely!) my friends new civic, even though his car is worth
($$$) 10 times mine.
Right now i'm looking into a new 1.8 litre GTI engine (83-4) lowcompression
with should be about as bolt on as you can get.  I'm looking to rebuild it
myself, and gain some more knowledge about my car.
Some things i've done are a ram air/ modified intake system, which is
extremely cheap to do yourself (<$50) and helped out my performance a lot.
Luckily my dad has a lot of tools and mechanical knowledge so i've learned a
lot from him, and from my work too.

KEvin