fuel problem - probably

Hey

I've been reading this list for a couple of weeks now, it's great stuff.

Especially now that I need some help -
My Scirocco - 86, 1.8 GTI 8v - is a little bit strange, because it has the
wrong injector head (not so good in naming car-parts in english - its the
vacuum chamber which decides how much fuel the engine gets that I am talking
about) - it is from a 5 cylinder Audi. (I am working on getting a new one
but Estonia (thats from where I write) is such a small place). So nobody I
know can quite explane it's behavior.
The things it does:
1. sometimes when cold it runs as if a brand new engine - better than any
other car i know with a 1.8 engine. Side effect is that it holds real low
RPM - ca 600
(normally 8-900)
2. usually runs like a 1.6 engine - not good that is
3. Yesterday - dropped the RPMs to 400?!?
4. Today - starts ok - then dies. got it working pumping gas-pedal. a lot.
then it held RPMs at 1K, (usual for cold engine was 1.3K before)

HELP?
If anybody has other ideas besides changing the injector-head (I'm working
on getting one - if anybody has good ideas - you're welcome, only remember I
am in Estonia), thanks.