Re: fuel problem - probably

> Hey
>
> I've been reading this list for a couple of weeks now, it's great stuff.
>
> Especially now that I need some help -
> My Scirocco - 86, 1.8 GTI 8v - is a little bit strange, because it has the
> wrong injector head (not so good in naming car-parts in english - its the
> vacuum chamber which decides how much fuel the engine gets that I am
talking
> about) - it is from a 5 cylinder Audi. (I am working on getting a new one
> but Estonia (thats from where I write) is such a small place). So nobody I
> know can quite explane it's behavior.
> The things it does:
> 1. sometimes when cold it runs as if a brand new engine - better than any
> other car i know with a 1.8 engine. Side effect is that it holds real low
> RPM - ca 600
> (normally 8-900)
> 2. usually runs like a 1.6 engine - not good that is
> 3. Yesterday - dropped the RPMs to 400?!?
> 4. Today - starts ok - then dies. got it working pumping gas-pedal. a lot.
> then it held RPMs at 1K, (usual for cold engine was 1.3K before)
>
> HELP?
> If anybody has other ideas besides changing the injector-head (I'm working
on
> getting one - if anybody has good ideas - you're welcome, only remember I
am in
> Estonia), thanks.

Hi Arno,
Wow, Estonia is pretty far from here (USA)  This list is so cool and
multicultured now!  Awesome!  Anyway to your problem.  What you can
temporarily do to get the car to stop stalling when it starts is turn the
Idle Stabilizer Valve.  This is a little screw behind the throttle body and
can be screwed in and out by hand.  When the car is on turn it clockwise I
believe (towards the passenger side) and your idle will go up.  This is just
temporary.  Your problem could also be vacuum related.  Check your big black
air intake hose that connects to the throttle body for tears.  It most
likely won't be this because your problem is on and off, not constant.  Good
luck and just ask if you need a better explanation,

--
Josh Clark