Re: AAHH! No brakes!

At 02:11 PM 2/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
> My scenario
>is this:
>	1)Brake light comes on
>	2)Notice excessive travel in brake pedal
>	3)Brakes don't work very well
>Now what do you think?

You either have a circuit in your MC going bad.
             OR
you have a leak in one of the lines
             OR
you have an air bubble in the system somewhere that is effecting the system
once in a while.

>My next request is for someone to go through this bench bleeding process
>seeing as that I have never heard of it (which isn't saying much).  I
>understand that the brake system is one of the most important.  I would
>like to replace the MC and bleed my lines myself, but I would like to do
>it right, as shawn mentioned earlier.  How do you bleed the MC before it
>is installed (If it is brand new)?  I am confused.
>
>Please help my car

OK, first you need to get a manual (if you havent already done this) and read
up on the procedure on "bench bleeding the MC" Its really not that hard to do,
but it is very difficult when you've never done it before. Now, you absolutely
do not have to do this step to change the MC. The problem is, it will make
doing the bleeding of the brakes take alot longer to accomplish. If your gonna
do this job alone, you will absolutely want to buy the following items.
(again, if you dont already have them.)

1) flair nut wrench. 10mm
2) "one man brake bleeder kit" (in the automotive "gismo" sections of any
parts store.)
3) lots new brake fluid. (a couple bottles of castrol GTLMA will work great!)
4) New Master cylinder (naturally)
5) Maybe even a can of liquid wrench too.

If you still need the specs of "how to" do the bench bleeding, I could send
you the details if you like.

Good luck with the project!

Shawn