Re: Bad noises

At 10:41 PM 2/10/97 -0800, you wrote:
>  My '82 'Rocco has recently begun to generate an odd noise from beneath
>the hood, much like a bearing rattling - or more metaphorically, like an
>exhaust pipe scraping gently along asphalt at low-to-medium speed.

                                       -SNIP-
The good thing is that it doesnt sound like a catestrophic failure. Which means you will have some time to figure out and diagnose what the problem really is.

>  I took it to a shop, but when I got it back, the guy said "it looks
>fine."  I realize now that I may have to do this myself, but I need a
>direction in order to focus my attention.  My first inclination is water
>pump bearings, but I need a darn good reason to start picking that thing
>apart.

One thing I learned later in life is go with your own reasoning until you can
prove yourself wrong. If your gut feeling is telling you its the water pump, then
here are a few things that might help you out and while you at it, can check out
some other possabilities.

Simply remove the water pump belt. Grab ahold of the water pump pulley and see if
there are any lateral play in the water pump shaft. Turn it by hand, how does it
feel? if its really easy to turn, the pump is worn. if its tight and you can feel
some drag, then its in good shape. If you can rattle it all over the place. its
about time to replace it. VW water pumps have a very short life! They tend to wear
out rather quickly so unless your pump is making noise at idle or is leaking
coolant, i'd rule that one out, no need to replace it. Do the same check on your
alternator pulley. It should turn freely and there should no lateral play or side
to side play. That should rule out the water pump and alt bearings. I dont think
the problem is with them, however.

20 questions.....
Are you sure its not just "ping"? It sounds like its hard to reproduce, no? Could
you say that maybe it sounds like a rattle? Do your guages tell you anything
different while its going on? (i.e. H2O temp high, low ect) What do you consider a
load? (people/stuff in the car or going up a hill.) Are you at full throttle when
it makes the noise? Can you regulate the noise with the throttle? What shape are
your motor mounts in? phew?

>  Has anyone had these symptoms, or had to deal with similar problems?

Yup, all the time but never on my car.....  :)

Shawn