Re: Bad noises

At 10:41 PM 2/10/97 -0800, you wrote:
>  My '82 'Rocco has recently begun to generate an odd noise from beneath
>the hood, much like a bearing rattling - or more metaphorically, like an
>exhaust pipe scraping gently along asphalt at low-to-medium speed.  It
>happens very rarely - only when there is a larger-than-average load put on
>the engine on flat road (usually in 2nd, over 3250 RPM or so); it never
>happens when climbing hills.  It never does it while idling or when the car
>is stopped, so it's impossible to get under the hood and analyze the
>situation constructively.

My '87 did something like this.  It started out kinda slow, and eventually
sounded like total shit.  It ended up being broken bolts on the water pump.
The noise was the bolts/nuts rattling around, although it sounded more like
what you describe.  Give it a look there.

Chris Taylor
'87 Scirocco G60-to-be

      Virginia Polytechnic Institute
          and State University