Re: Updating problems...Windshield replacement

>Subj:	Re: Updating problems...
>Date:	97-02-10 15:56:39 EST
>From:	nigelh@connectmmic.net (Nigel Heron)
>Sender:	owner-scirocco-l@mantis.privatei.com
>To:	scirocco-l@privatei.com

>Hi,

>would your floor happen to be wet?
>my windshield gasget was leaking and cause all kinds of problems, since >the
>water leaked onto the fuse box. my wipers and my flashers stoped >working,
>(and were blowing their fuses), and the fuel pump relay burnt out. after
>looking at the fuse box there was green calcium rust stuff all over the
>metal stips inside, i cleaned them up and everything started working >again.

>by the way, has anyone changed their front windshield themselves? does >it
>require special tools, or just patience? mine was cracked by flying rocks
>on
>the highway, so the insurance will pay for most of it (and i'll get a new
>seal!), but i might want to remove it to get a new paint job first.
>

>nigel.
>86 Scirocco 8v

I've removed and installed my windshield a couple of times.  Taking it out is
no big deal, especially if it's cracked already.  Just kick it out from the
inside.  Use gloves when handling the glass.  Take the gasket and trim and
install it around the new glass.  Use a small nylon cord and encircle the
groove of the windshield gasket that the windshield (car)frame will fit
into.(Use nylon not cotton or sisal because the nylon will slip easier...
read on.)  Start at the middle top of the gasket and bring the cord down both
sides and under so that the ends of the cord meet in the middle bottom of the
gasket and cross each other.  Loosely secure the cord at the crossing point
(like a overhand knot when you start to tie your shoe).  Now take this whole
mess of glass, gasket and cord and place it on the windshield frame, bottom
first(the gasket at the bottom, where the cord is, should be engaging the
cars windshield frame) the loose end of the cords should be resting on the
top of the dash.  Then just let the rest of the glass/gasket come to rest on
the frame.  At this point you want to center the glass a well as you can on
the frame.  Don't push down on the glass to try shove it into the frame. Just
move it left and right so it sits centered.  Now go inside the car and locate
the ends of the cord.  They should be in the middle of the dash just as you
had tied them.  Now comes the fun part.  The whole idea is to pull the cord,
working from the center out to the lower corners and then up.  Pull the cord
back away from gasket(slowly), when the cord slips out of the groove of the
gasket , it will flip the inside lip of the gasket up and over the frame lip
of the bodywork.  Move evenly away from the middle to the corners and then up
the sides and finally to the middle top.  It does take some time.  Don't rush
it.  If the gasket lip isn't cooperating, stop.  Try to correct it before
going on.  There is a tendency to help seat the glass from the outside by
pushing down on the gasket.  This could crack the glass(take my word for it),
so try to resist doing that.  You can sort of practice on the bottom edge and
not go up the sides.  When your comfortable pulling the cord, continue up the
sides and top.
    What I remember about the trim(that sits in the gasket)was it was a pain
to get to seat right.  The corners never wanted to sit flush.  Also go with
the factory glass.  Some aftermarket glass is thinner(i.e., lighter) but you
end up with a gasket that can't seal around the glass and you will have leaks
when the windshield gets wet(again voice of experience) and you'll have a
coroded or shorted fuse panel(again).  If insurance is paying, let them pay
for installation(which should be part of the cost).

Good Luck!
Sailing FC@aol.com(D. Wong)
'78 Scirocco(Original Owner)