Bad noises

  My '82 'Rocco has recently begun to generate an odd noise from beneath
the hood, much like a bearing rattling - or more metaphorically, like an
exhaust pipe scraping gently along asphalt at low-to-medium speed.  It
happens very rarely - only when there is a larger-than-average load put on
the engine on flat road (usually in 2nd, over 3250 RPM or so); it never
happens when climbing hills.  It never does it while idling or when the car
is stopped, so it's impossible to get under the hood and analyze the
situation constructively.

  I took it to a shop, but when I got it back, the guy said "it looks
fine."  I realize now that I may have to do this myself, but I need a
direction in order to focus my attention.  My first inclination is water
pump bearings, but I need a darn good reason to start picking that thing
apart.

  Has anyone had these symptoms, or had to deal with similar problems?  The
reward for information is my eternal gratitude.

Kyle