Re: New Clutch

caufman wrote:

> Something peculiar did pop up though.  It seems the owner before me
> changed the original front brake calipers with some from a newer model.
> Due to this, I have been hearing alot of clacking.  My mechanic said
> this was due to some spacing hardware that was not replaced with the
> newer brake calipers.  Does anyone know what he is talking about?  I
> have the kit, It looks like a bunch of cylinder type things and spacers
> that look sorta like engine bearings, only smaller.  Anyhow, I will be
> trying to figure this out and complete the repair over the weekend (even
> though I have no clue to what I am doing).  Any advise?
>
> Party on (it's the weekend),
>
> John
> 80 Scirocco e.

YUP!  You probably have the 16v Ghirling (sp?) Calipers or maybe just
the later Scirocco calipers.  These have some sort of spring/spacer that
keeps the brake pads aligned (I think that's what it does) and they come
loose easily.  Now that I remember I need one on my 16v once it's ready
to drive again.  Tell us if that's the case.  It's an easy install soo.
Good luck,
Josh