Re: Anybody done a stroker 2.2? (somwehat long)

If you are going to upgrade to a 2.2L, I suspect that you are going to
use 10:1 or 10.5:1 compression.  Also, if this is the case you will have
to put a later model ignition with knock sensor.  This is my opinion
because it wouldn't be wise to make a low compression strocker unless
that you are thinking turbo.

Johnny Scarborough Jr. wrote:

> Just got back from a very enlightening visit to Shine Racing and with some
> options I have to decide on (for anyone who has not dealt with these guys
> yet I highly recommend them...they really know their stuff and really took
> the time to explain some of the pro's/con's...luckily they are local for me)
>
> Some background first, I decided this past week to sink some relatively
> serious cash into my '83 Scirocco instead of buying a new car. I have a
> decent budget to play with as I was going to buy a new car and already had
> convinced the wife on a price range :-)
> My intended goal when I set out was to get into the 180-200HP range but with
> a 8v. This would still be somewhat a daily driver (at least until I get the
> 944 project car in a drivable state)
>
> I intend to stay with the 8v as I really want low to mid performance vs.
> just at the upper end of the RPM scale. Their 2.0l 8v "tall block"
> w/hydraulic head is a definite but I am really leaning towards building a
> "stroker" which would net me a 2.2l. They claim 150HP for the 2.0l...I
> figure I should see at least 160HP out of the 2.2l. Anyone seen/have
> opinions on the 2.2l "stroker"?
> I would also get the variable cam sprocket (kinda like a cheap VTEC although
> it mechanical)...don't know the maker but sounds decent and they
> liked it. They also brought up NOS, which would add 40HP...anyone have NOS
> and opinions? (My first thought on NOS has always been .... cool! but not in
> my car)
>
> I will also have them doing exhaust. They are thinking techtonics downpipe
> with std. manifold but it depends if the brospeed header can clear then I'll
> go with it (they are REALLY nice units..HPC coated and all). Anyone have the
> brospeed?
> Any recommendations on mufflers (or not?)? I don't mind it being load in
> fact you moght say I like it that way. I like that raspy,"euro", sound :-)
>
> As for suspension I'm looking at doing 200lbs springs up front and 120lbs in
> the rear with Bilstein HD all around. How are the BOGE?
>
> I also getting their bushing kit (way cool!) and upgrading the brakes to the
> larger set and converting the rears to disk at the same time. Anybody done
> this conversion themselves? I am correct to assume some dramatic
> improvements in the braking or only a little?
>
> Thanks a bunch and will keep you all posted on progress as I will probably
> start the whole process within a week or so!
>
> -johnny-

jOrgE gUErrErO